Friday, August 22, 2008

Personal Responsiblilty - It's Not My Fault!

Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsiblilty. One of my pet peeves is the prevailing attitude of "I can't help it" or "It's not my fault."

"I am so broke, I can't help it that gas prices keep rising."
I am not an executive at an oil company, and I really don't have control over the gas price. What I can control is my response. I can live within my means by cutting back on other things, so I have more money to spend on gas. Yes, this means not eating out as much, getting rid of the cable, selling stuff on ebay, etc.

NOTE: The government will not fix our problems. For some interesting study, look at the poverty rate before the government started the welfare program, and compare it to the poverty rate today. I may write a post on that in the future.

Times are tougher than they have been the past few years, however, it could be much worse. In fact, it has been much worse in the not so distant past. America is still the nation most of the world is jealous of. If things are so bad why do we have an immigration problem? The great thing about America is the fact that a person can wake up one morning, decide what they want to be, and go out, work hard, and become what they dreamed. There are always exceptions, but for the most part this is true. I still have great hope for this country, especially if we start taking more personal responsibility, and continue to embrace the American Dream.

No comments: